Good Friday 2021
The Good Friday Happening is an event where young people enjoy a range of activities all connected to the Easter story. From 10am until 4pm each hour on the hour we will share a range of activities with some thoughts and prayers to celebrate the story of Easter. Join us tonight on our YouTube channel at 7 for a Good Friday Evening Prayer. We hope you will join in when you can and we would love to see your photos or comments , send them to ku.gro.hcruhcytinirtylohnull@htuoy or message us on Facebook or YC WhatsApp.
Throughout the day we will follow the Holy Week story. There will be some prayers, stories and activities for you to share in the Easter message with other families in our community. We begin with the joyous jubilation of Palm Sunday.
Point to Ponder
There was a party atmosphere as Jesus entered Jerusalem and many acts of generosity from the crowd. ‘Hosanna’ is a Hebrew word usually used to mean ‘Praise’, but it actually means ‘Save us, please!’ The cloaks that were laid on the road, where they would be trampled and ruined, had a greater value than the coats we wear today.
There are different reasons to give: sometimes people may ask us for things they need, but on other occasions we may choose to give spontaneously.
- Describe a time when you received a gift that made you feel really special.
- What would be a modern-day example of throwing coats on the road for Jesus?
- What practical ways can we celebrate God through giving or sharing our possessions with God or others?
We hope you will join in when you can and we would love to see your photos or comments , send them to ku.gro.hcruhcytinirtylohnull@htuoy or message us on Facebook or YC WhatsApp.
Activity 1 – Like our video can you recreate the Palm Sunday celebration of Jesus entering Jerusalem using Lego, dolls, toys or objects in your house.
Activity 2 – Hand Palm Leaf
Find: Green paper or card, a stick, tape, scissors, pen or pencil.
- Draw around your hand.
- Cut out the hand shapes.
- Tape the hand shapes to the stick. Make sure you spread
the hands out to make it look like the leaves of a palm tree.
Activity 3 – Newspaper Palm Tree
Find: Newspaper (you could also use some leaflets, or magazines you may have in your recycling), masking or sticky tape and scissors.
- Tape pages of newspaper together, to make one very long sheet of
- Roll up the sheet to make a tube.
- Tape the bottom bit of the tube, to stop it coming undone.
- Cut four lines from the top of the tube to just above the middle.
- Hold on to the bottom of the tube and gently pull the top of the tube up
to reveal a newspaper palm tree
Or have a look at these websites for some fun Easter games:
Jesus, you told your disciples to go!
Give us courage to go as your disciples.
To the tune: Twinkle, twinkle, little star:
Farewell friends, as we depart,
keep these stories in our hearts.
Through these days of Lent we know,
that our faith in God may grow.
Through temptations in our days,
be like Jesus through our ways.